Sunday, April 26, 2009

Gourmet Meet Green

I do love it when I get to claim greeness when I'm not really trying to be green at all.  I caught part of the NPR show, A Splendid Table this afternoon and on of Lynn's guests was talking about gardening and it's relationship to people who love food.  This guest, who I cannot remember the name of, said it was such a shame that people drive to the store, buy thyme in a plastic container and bring it home in a plastic bag when growing herbs is easier than juniper.  This person mentioned junipers often so I guess that's a common bush or something.  

I admit it - I grow herbs because I like them. They make ordinary things, like roast chicken and potatoes taste better. I also grow them because I'm forgetful and never remember to put herbs on the list, much less remember them at Kroger. So, having herbs just off the patio means fresh herbs when I want them. But according to this guest on Splendid Table, having my fresh herbs is a green thing to do.  I suppose that I'll get to take credit for the rest of the garden too, which is also grown for taste and my high standards for tomatoes. But hey, I'll take the green points when I can get them.

I also now have a project thanks to this show. Alpine Strawberries.   Apparently, this variety grows in shade, produces fruit all summer long and has more strawberry flavor than normal berries.  Time to research....but after I go make dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment